Sunday, July 31, 2011

July 31, Day 16: Gloucester Mass (parte tres)

  • Miles Today: 0 

  • Trip Total: 3740 

  • Weather: Clear and hot. High 90F.

  • Today’s Song:  "Rock Lobster" by B52's. 

  • AWTY?: 8

  • Today's Lesson:  Dieting is pointless when visiting Portuguese relatives.


  • What did you have for breakfast today?  We had lobster sandwiches!  No kidding.  Have you ever heard of lobster leftovers?  It also makes a terrific lobster salad, and I'm not talking about a little meat on lettuce.  I'm talking about adding some garlic, cilantro and other secret things to 95% lobster.  Awesome!

    I spent the morning in the studio with Tino editing the recording from yesterday.  Unfortunately we didn't get it finished.  It was a lot of fun in the studio, but being a perfectionist, it is too easy for me to get stuck in there.

    The kids used the opportunity to catch up on facebook and do a little swimming in the Atlantic Ocean.












    During this time, Tia Liduina and Tio Mario made another feast. 












    Check out the rotisserie that Mario built.



    My favorite Portuguese dish is Caldo Verde (Green Soup) which is potato and onion based, with portuguese cabbage called couves (similar to collards) that are sliced into thin ribbons and added at the very end just long enough to make them tender.  It includes a few slices of linguica sausage and a little olive oil.  Everywhere I go someone makes it for me.  I've gotten pretty good at it myself, but it is never as good as when my mother-in-law or Teresa's tias make it.  Here is a variation of the recipe.







    Tino and I went back to the studio for a few hours while Rodger and Mario went back to the beach, followed by a good nap. 





    Tomorrow is a visit to Boston (and more food, no doubt).