- Miles today: 529
- Miles Total: 1551
- Weather: Hot and sunny. 99F in NE Wyoming (and broken A/C)
- Roads: Some construction east of Billings and east of Sheridan. Little delay.
- Today's Theme Song: "Big Sky Country" by Chris Whitley
- Rachionary: "Kinsult" [kin-suhlt] noun, a back-handed compliment from your little brother.
- Rodgerism: "I hope no one is playing golf." (observing a distant lightning storm long after sunset.)
- AWTY?: 5
- Lesson: "Grown-up LEGOs"
Today was strictly a driving day to position us in the Black Hills of South Dakota for some sight-seeing tomorrow. One "big-sky" photo of Montana was about all I could manage.
The Broken Arrow Horse Camp is probably the nicest little RV Park I have ever seen. Five miles from town, super quiet, beautiful views, and still warm enough outside by the fire at 11:00pm. I immediately wished we were staying for several days and not just passing through.
We got a campfire going and some weenie roasting.
We've been trying to point out important historic places and important discoveries during this trip. We will be visiting Philadelphia, home of inventor and statesman Benjamin Franklin, as well as a visit to Thomas Edison's lab in New Jersey. Their contributions to science and technology can not be overstated. If not for their discoveries, we might have to update our Facebook status by firelight.
I love being an engineer. It comes naturally. I may not be formally trained in the science of design, but engineers were originally the mechanics who kept the engines running, so the train would not have to stop. Today I felt a bit like Montgomery Scott, hero of service engineers and techno-geeks everywhere. Without the RV stopping (Teresa was captain today) I repaired the weather-station, the generator, the coach air-conditioner and the loose engine cowling that was causing several problems.