Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July 19, Day 4: Idaho Falls, Idaho


  • Miles today:  295

  • Trip total:  782.

  • Weather:   Warm and sunny. High temp at Arco 84°F.

  • Today's Theme song: "Walking On The Moon" by The Police.

  • Today's "Rachionary" word: "tramplede" [tram-pleed] noun, Any large group of people or animals that runs over you.

  • Today's "Rodgerism" quote:  "My head itches, but the wind scratches it for me."

  • D'oh! of the day:   12V extension cord (for air compressor)

  • AWTY? Count:  2.

  • Today's lesson:  Zen and the art of not becoming "that guy."




  • We waved goodbye to Gma at around 9:00am this morning and drove to "Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve." 

    Rodger riding shotgun as promised.

    The temperature wasn't as hot as expected (84°F RH-2%) and windy.  We managed to get in a trail-walk before continuing on to the RV park in Idaho Falls. 



    On the narrow loop road, I remembered when Teresa and I came here on motorcycles about 20 years ago.  It was pouring rain so we didn't stay long.  We did seem to get stuck behind every old man in an RV however, and on that same trip (in Yellowstone) we had to make a U-turn mid-highway because the bison that the RV in front of us had stopped to photograph was more interested in us.  Every ticket (except for a crosswalk entrapment sting) I have ever received came after passing a slow RV on a twisty highway.  Today's lesson is how I found myself looking in the mirror every time I slowed down on that road so the kids could snap a pic.  I am fully prepared to accept the salutes and slurs in repayment for the ones I offered during my biking days.  Good ol' Karma.

    We had a pretty good tail-wind all day, so I'm looking forward to running the numbers at the next fuel stop.  How cool would it be to break 10mpg?!